26 March 2011

Homemade Memories: 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy and History

Week 13:  Sweets: What was your favorite childhood candy or dessert? Have your tastes changed since then? What satisfies your sweet tooth today?

I have mentioned before what a great cook my mom was and when we had dessert it was usually made from scratch.  Some of my earliest memories are of my mom making homemade cake donuts and getting to eat the warm donut holes as she made them.  The cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar ones were my favorites. She would make jelly filled yeast ones, too.  Yummy! 

I remember homemade angel food cake resting on top of what, I believe, was a glass bottle that she used to sprinkle water on clothes when ironing.  Topping it off with fresh strawberries and whipped cream was delicious.

Later, in my teen years, I remember a couple of desserts that were made with pudding.  I think it was a fad in the seventies.  Here is one I still enjoy today.

1 package Jiffy yellow cake mix.  Bake as directed in 9 x 13 pan.
Beat 8 ounces cream cheese with 2 cups milk; add 1 package instant banana pudding.
Spread over cold cake, then add 1 large can well-drained, crushed pineapple.
Spread 1 large (9 ounce) cool whip on top, then spread with 1 cup brickle bits.

This is written as I got it from my mom.  No name for the dessert, so I call it Banana Pineapple Dessert.  In the seventies, the 9 ounce cool whip was considered large!  Now, I would use a small, 8 ounce tub.  The pudding size is the larger box.

As a home economics major in college, I had to take a couple of food classes.  One of my classes was a five credit hour cooking class.  I loved that class.  Twice a week we went into the lab and prepared all sorts of recipes.  The candy making lab was my favorite.  We made homemade caramels, they are so much better than the individually wrapped ones!  Homemade fudge and hard candy smells, usually, drew other students to the door of the lab.

Married life gave me my own kitchen and the freedom to make whatever I wanted to.  Dessert was made for special occasions.  I would make it when we had dinner guests or if I had to take a dish to pass, somewhere.  We didn't have dessert regularly.

In the 80's and 90's when my children were just little, I got into making Pampered Chef desserts.  I would make Taffy Apple Pizza or Apple Cookie Kuchen, both favorites of my kids.  They were quick, easy recipes that the kids could help me with.

Now, as empty nesters, we rarely have dessert.  I don't really have a sweet tooth, I am more of a salt monster.  I need to find a salty, dessert recipe.  Any ideas?  All this talk of desserts makes me want to go bake, maybe I will.

Stressed spelled backwards is desserts. Coincidence? I think not! ~Author Unknown

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History by Amy Coffin, of the We Tree blog, is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2011) that invite genealogists and others to record memories and insights about their own lives for future descendants.

No comments:

Post a Comment